Not only does dairy and gluten play havoc with your digestive system if you are in anyway intolerant you also feel constantly bloated and we’ve found it to be a big contributor the intensity of a certain person’s snoring as well.
It’s made me determined to find some healthy replacements for the things that I really love.
The first thing to get right is bread. Did you know that most supermarket bought gluten-free bread contains massive amounts of sugar and canola oil. It might be gluten-free but it certainly isn’t a health food.
Our gorgeous Doctor at the health retreat in Thailand put us onto this recipe which we’ve adapted a little to suit our tastes.
- 1 Cup Buckwheat Flour
- 1 Cup Almond Meal
- 1 Cup Quinoa Flakes
- 1/2 Cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Pumpkin Seeds (Pepita)
- 1/2 Cup Psyllium Husk
- 1/8 Cup Dried Basil
- 1 Teaspoon of Pink Himalayan Pink Table Salt
- 2 Cups Filtered Water
- Coconut Oil for greasing
It couldn’t be simpler there are just
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl
- Stir well to create a rough looking dough
- Leave to stand for 60 minutes until the mixture is firm
- Grease a regular loaf tin with coconut oil
- Bake at 180c for about 60 minutes (until a wooden skewer comes out clean)
The bread is delicious sliced straight from the oven and served with lashings of coconut oil, nut butter or hummus.
It will last a couple of days if kept in the fridge or you can slice it and freeze it.
Try replacing the Basil for other dried herbs or savoury yeast flakes. You can also swap out the pumpkin or sunflower seeds for other seeds, nuts or dried fruit.
It’s quite a dense bread, great for toast, dipping in soups and broths or for open sandwiches.